Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Zahncliff Institute: Chapter 3

3


What am I?






Adam




One can never know when a person is ready to know the truth about themselves. Sometimes, they claim they are ready, claim they can take it. But more often than not, the truth kills them.

One of the many things we do at the Zahncliff Institute, is take a blood sample. Usually, the employee does not know. This is how we find out if we have a wolf hiding in a sheep's wool; this is how we discover species.

Milly came to work for me twelve years ago, a woman who out-right claimed to be of Valkyrie descent. As such, she can smell out the others, which makes her a more than useful asset. Some call us demons. Others say we are messengers of God. I believe that we are simply a different kind of child. Either way, we have been hunted for millenia. My mother taught me that we are all children of the Father. Some of us are just..... Special.

Many use their abilities for ill; but some, like us, choose to help the Father's Other children. And so, we exist. The Institute. Many of our patients are not, as believed, dangerous, or for that matter, insane. Most, like Munro, are completely sane. His species are a very gentle folk, and tend to be a bit hermit like. But there are those who would threaten to expose us.

Destra. Old blood. She doesn't know it, but her kind is ancient and powerful..... Most likely, it was passed down on her mother's side. Many who had the Sight were accused of Witchcraft, but they are oceans apart.

It is the ability to see what others do not. She doesn't know how to use it, yet. She is going to break, and soon. Her last View was this Monday, and before that, it was only three weeks ago. They are getting closer together. I wouldn't be shocked if her next one was in just a few days.


Then we'll have to explain.


**

Adam



It has happened. Milly can tell. Destra called up, and was barely understandable on the phone. She was gasping, and her voice kept breaking. When I heard a thud, I knew we were needed immediately. I hurriedly called for a member of the Security Detail and a couple of medics. We loaded into a white, unadorned Suburban. We didn't want to draw too much attention.

When we arrived at her building, we climbed the stairs up to the third floor. The door was locked, and the apartment was silent. I gave the word, and the door was forced open. A silver web lay over the room, meeting at the place where Destra lay. Everything pulsed with light, and as we approached Her body, several Will O 'the Wisps scattered, their high delicate giggles rising up to meet our ears, and sending a shiver down our spines.

The webs had formed a cocoon of types around Destra. Her eyes were open, but had turned a milky white. They were darting around the room, seeing things the human eye could not detect. The medics gingerly lifted her limp form, and set her on the stretcher they had brought. She mumbled nonsense, and her face became worried. Then, she settled, and her face resumed its normal posture. We took her gently back down the stairs, and loaded her into the suburban.

“Don't disturb her!” I said, as the medics prepared to wake her, “If she is woken prematurely, she may very well become a patient.... Just let her rest. She will come to in her own good time.”

We waited hours. Once she had been placed in a bed in the hospital wing, the silver webs pulsed back over her body, and crept silently across the sheets. Finally her eyes cleared, then closed. The web pulled back, and sank into her skin. She slept without Sight.



**

Destra




My head felt like it had been sliced, diced, and deep fried.

Nah, that's not a good comparison.

Think more along the lines of being tied underneath a train, then driven over a track of nails.

That will work.

For a few minutes I couldn't remember what had happened. Then I remembered the murder. But this time the headache didn't come. I realized I was in a hospital bed. It was dark. I flipped over, and also realized I couldn't feel a thing.

Wow, they must have me on some AWESOME drugs!

A loud snorting-ripping sound interrupted the quiet. I felt myself jump. Slowly I sat up, and looked around. In a chair a few feet from my bed sat Adam. He was sound asleep, and snoring. Loudly.

Man, what I wouldn't have done for a large stick. I tried to go back to sleep, but his unreliable growl was driving nuts, and hunger made me clench my stomach. Then I saw the light.... Literally. The door at the end of the wing opened, and a soft yellow light came pouring in. This was quickly blocked by an immense female figure. She silently came over, lifted Adam into the air, and lay him down on one of the beds.

Milly


The giantess came over to me.

“How are you, dear?”

“Well, I feel like I was attacked by a gang of biker gorillas, but I'll live.” My stomach growled as if on cue.

“I can guarantee you'll be feeling much better after a wee nip.” She helped me out of bed and onto my feet. That was when I noticed I wasn't attached to anything. No drip, no needles, no tubes. And yet my limbs felt heavy and ungainly, like I was just coming off of some specialty Juice.

“Come on then! If we hurry, we can get the cinnamon rolls while they're hot!” Milly bustled me out of the hospital and downstairs to the kitchen. I was very aware of this particular room; it was just down the hall from the Art room, and was always supplying me with normal tasties.

As we got closer to the sacred-supplier-of-tasty, the smell of baked goods reached me, and I could hear the kitchen ladies gossiping as they worked. I also heard two male voices. As soon as we entered the kitchen, the light stung my eyes, and the noise suddenly became to much.

“Whoa, girl! Sit for a minute.” Milly guided me to an empty counter, and lifted me up. I leaned my head against the back wall, and closed my eyes. My head relaxed, and I slowly opened them. This time it didn't hurt.

“Here, dear, eat this.” I was handed a fresh white roll, still warm from the oven. I tore off chunks at a time, and munched on them with glee. As soon as the first baked good disappeared down my gullet, another was quickly placed in my hand. Once my stomach wasn't threatening to implode, I turned and inspected the mixed group of people residing in the kitchen: Milly's tall, impressive self was in a fluffy purple bathrobe, with large plush slippers to match. She was having a milk drinking competition with the large bearded grower who provided most of the Institute's food; The goblin-like lunch ladies were cheering them on, shaking their gnarled fists and encouraging Milly in their rough, New Yorker accents; And off to one side was an oober-geek. I mean, oober geek: He was a tall lanky stick bug of a man, with meticulously groomed hair the color of dung (Do excuse the comparison.... My head was still a little funky), and olive eyes magnified by a pair of glasses that looked like they had come straight out of an eighties cop show. The broad shoulders of a white lab coat hung off of his thin frame, and made him look like he was playing in his dad's clothing. A name tag hung from the pen-filled pocket on the left side of the coat.

Then I realized with a jolt that he was staring at me with those owl-eyes. I started to pay special attention to the wheat roll in my hand. Then he was next to me. He cleared him throat;

“Ahem.” I kept looking at my roll.

“Excuse me....” Taking on a surprised look, I turned to him.

“Yes?” I replied, smiling sweetly. He blushed, and shoved his hands into his trouser's pockets.

“I-I'm Darwin, I-I work in Intelligence......” I put my hand forward.

“And I'm Destra, but something tells me you already knew that.” He turned an even darker shade of red.

Oh, Destra, you're a mean one..... Stop it!

“Well, I did but...... I, of course, well, wanted to, umm, meet you myself..... Word of you has come a ways! Even into the basements.....” I thought about that for a second, then nodded.

“I guess I'll take that as a complement?” Darwin made a few funny faces, then looked down at his ratty sneakers. He then looked like he wanted to ask me something, but faltered.

“Is there something wrong?” he looked back up and re-adjusted his glasses again.

“Has Mr. Zahncliff told you yet? I mean, what you are?” What I am? What the heck is that supposed to mean!

“Nooooo........ Why?”

“Oh, never mind!” he said, and started to turn away.

“Listen, if I'm going to grow lumps all over my back and sprout wings, or something like that, I want to know about it!” The Nerd pulled his shoulders up until they touched his bright red ears.

“I don't know anything! I just thought you might know by now....... I mean, obviously you're something, but I don't know what, I mean--” He was cut off by the ever-perfect timing of Milly.

“MacKenzie, what in Valhalla's holy halls are you telling this girl?” She had quite the milk-mustache going, and had placed her hands on her huge hips. Darwin turned a luminescent white, and his knobby knees started to shake.

“N-nothing, M-Milly! I, I just was talking, I mean, there isn't a law against that... Yet.” The Norse-Woman glared down at him.

“Go to bed, Darwin, or Adam'll have your head in the morning.” He took one more look at me, then scurried away into the hallway like a rat. Milly sighed and shook her head.

“That boy......” she looked at me “You, madam, are going back to bed also! Come with me!” She led me out of the bright kitchen after saying goodbye to her friends, and at first the dark made me trip.

Eventually, after what seemed like ages of twisting and turning, I was back in the hospital bed. I hadn't realized it, but I was still not functional; as soon as I hit the sheets, I was out like a rock.



**

Darwin




She was like a goddess! Beautiful, silky, lustrous copper hair, swirling, chocolate brown eyes, perfect pink lips.......

“MacKenzie, are you okay? You seem a little out of it today.” I jumped, but of course, I hid it.... I mean, I tried, but you know, sometimes it doesn't work....

“Darwin! Woo-hoo!” a callused hand flew back and forth in front of my face, and I swatted it out of the way.

“Sorry, I, um, am just, well, thinking about.... Other stuff.” Justin 'Fur Ball' Quicks stared at me hard. Then he grinned wickedly.

“You have the hots for someone!” I floundered. I do that a lot....

No I don't! I mean, that's a very immature term! I might have possibly noticed someone, but I don't have 'Hots' for anyone!” Fur Ball just leaned back in his computer chair, and laced his hands behind his head.

“You're over reacting: sure sign of it, bub.” I shrunk into my seat. Here across from me sat the King of all Lady Magnets; he could usually be found flirting with the nurses, the nurse's daughters, the lunch lady, or the various female instructors. He was charming, handsome, charismatic, bold, sure..... Everything I wasn't.

He pushed his blond hair out of his face, and arched his eyebrow.

“So..... Who is it?” I concentrated on my keyboard. It needed a good, loving scrub. Fur Ball started stroking his well-groomed beard.

“Okay, let me guess: Amy, the tennis instructor?” I ignored him.

“Mel, the massage therapist?” I'm not listening....

Terra, the communications geek?” I gave him a look, and he grinned. We both knew no one in their right mind would ever date the toad-faced, humorless ruler of the Line.

Then a light came on in his eyes.

“Destra, the new chick upstairs?” My ears betrayed me by growing hot, and turning as red as a fire engine. Fur Ball's eyes grew wide.

“Dude! No way! Have you actually talked to her yet?” He leaned in as if he wanted me to dish.

“Well, kinda, I mean, Milly interrupted me, and Destra was gorgeous....” Just then, a chat screen popped up on my computer monitor. I looked close at it.

“Um, who is KnottyBarbie42? And why is she asking if I want to 'Get together'?” Fur Ball clicked his tongue.

“Sorry, sonny, that ain't for for you! Can you slide over real quick? Thanks....” I sighed, and went over to the small black snack fridge in the corner of the room.

Before I could pull out a soda, someone knocked on the door. I was about to open it, when Fur Ball got up and suggested I take my lunch break. I took his not-at-all-obvious cue, and left by the other door. Before the lock had clicked, I heard the tell-tale giggles of yet another female friend of Fur's.

She was in the cafeteria. Just a few tables away! Her eyes sparkled, her hair glistened, and her smile was radiant.....

“Hey, sorry about kicking you out earlier..... A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!” She was sitting next to that Hollywood-wannabe Gorgon, and that big hairy guy-- Sasquatch..... Hardly fitting company for such a beauty....

“Hello! Earth to nerd!”

“Hmm? Can I help you?”

“Well?”

“Well, what?” I finally tore my eyes away from Destra, and glared at Fur.

“Are going to pine all day, or are you going to talk to her? Cause if you're not gonna, I'll be right back....” I blanched.

“I....I.... Don't you dare! I'll talk to her, just give me a sec....” Fur looked at me doubtfully, and sighed impatiently.

“Fine. One, two, three, four.....” He got up from the table, and headed toward Destra.

“Wait! Don't! I'm coming! Don't you dare, or I'll--” He was at her table. I caught up, gasping.

Oh, hey.... Darwin, right?” She was talking to me!

“Um, yes! Hi Destra.....” Fur interrupted me.

“Hey, look, my buddy here wants to ask you out, but doesn't have the guts to do it. Would you mind taking him out, I know of this great little Italian place....” Destra's eyebrows jumped up in surprise, and I punched Fur's arm. Lucky for me, she turned on him, too.

“Okay, look buddy: Darwin here may be a great guy, but I'm not interested.” My fellow computer junkie crossed his arms.

“Well then, how about you and me go to the Italian place? I'm sure you can't refuse--”

You really don't get it, do you? I'm not interested. I'm not ready to get serious with anyone. I'm not the kind of person who just goes around with every other guy, either, so don't get any ideas.” She turned back to me.

“Listen, don't take this wrong, I just really hate when people act so.... So....”

“Jerky?” I said timidly.

“yes!” The big furry guy chuckled.

“It's okay, I know what you m-mean.... This whole thing was his idea, n-not mine.” She laughed.

Her musical, wonderful laugh....

“Alright, well, I'll see you around!” She wanted to see me again!

“Okay! W-will do!”

I think I just heard angels singing.

Fur and I headed back to our table, his pride greatly deflated. Serves him right! You never approach a goddess like that. Mortal women are easy prey to such as him, and since that is all he has ever known, he was struck a terrible blow! In front of the entire cafeteria, no less!

I felt myself glowing, I felt like I was floating! I risked a glance back over at her. She was animatedly telling her companions a story.

Oh, to be at that table right now.....



**

Adam




After lunch I had Destra come to my office. When she arrived, she casually took a seat in the chair on the other side of my desk.

“So, what am I in trouble for?” didn't expect that.

“Why would you assume you have done something wrong?” I asked.

“Come on, I used to get called into the principal's office all the time! That's the only time I ever visited anyone's office, and usually if was because of graffiti..... Not that I'm doing that anymore!” She looked far more uncomfortable then.

Okay...

“Destra, you are here because I want to explain what happened to you yesterday morning.” The red-head across from me visibly relaxed.

“Oh. That.”

I laced my hands.

“Do you know who your parents are?” Destra looked offended.

“I thought you were going to tell me what the heck happened to me! My parents have nothing to do with this!”



**

Destra




Heat rose into my cheeks, and my stomach boiled with anger. You might think I was overreacting, but you didn't know my parents. Heck, I barely knew my parents.

When I was six, I had my first headache. I went into my mom, and told her my head hurt. All I remember is the fear and utter disgust that was there. That night, she tucked me roughly into bed, grabbed a duffel full of clothes, and slammed the door as she left. My dad searched for her every waking moment. He slowly gave up. To fill the gaping hole left in his heart by my mother, he started to drink. I guess he hit a point where he couldn't take it anymore; when I was eight, he loaded up on pain killers, and drunk until he passed out.

He never woke up.

State sent me to live with his mom. My mom's mom, March Seville, was in an insane asylum, suffering from delusions. Grandma Ellen loved me, took care of me, and never deserted me. She introduced me to religion, art, music..... all the things that are truly important.


So, one tends to hold a little bit of a grudge towards parents that desert you..... One also tends to really hate when people assume that all of your redeeming qualities come from your parents.

“As a matter of fact, your parents might very well have everything to do with it. You've had these headaches your entire life, correct?” I nodded silently, and Zahncliff went on. “In your blood, a sample of which we took when you first arrived, you have specific markers that tell us your mother passed down a very old ability, something that has been around for hundreds, maybe even thousands of years; you have the Sight.”

well, that was fairly anti-climatic!

I moved my hair out of my face.

“And this is special because?” Adam sighed, and drummed his fingers on the desk.

“Because, it is very rare, very useful! Oh, but I will have you know, it does not mean you can see the future, or see through metal,or anything silly like that.”

Your kidding me!

“Then what is the point! I've had my head split open for nothing? Really?” He rolled his eyes, and shook his head.

“It's a magnificent gift! Allow me explain: You are able to see the complete picture. You are able to piece together the puzzle, put things where they belong, make sense of things others can't make sense of. The Sight is a way to unlock the doors of the unimaginable.”

I sat back and stared at him.

“You're pulling my leg, aren't you? I mean, none of this even makes sense! If it is such a 'profound' gift, why did I go into a coma when I found out about the murder?” I said, eying him real good.

“Before the gift emerges fully, it doesn't matter if the thing that you notice is particularly important. We knew about the murder minutes after it happened. Just another death in the big city.” He finished.

“So, ribbon person--”

“Girl.”

“Okay, ribbon girl. She just happened to get murdered? What killed her?”




**

Adam




This woman was sharp. She knew to ask What, as opposed to who. Of course, technically it was both, but since we didn't yet know who the murderer was, I decided not to correct her on this point.

“From what we can tell so far, it was a werewolf.” Destra raised an eyebrow.

“Those guys have quite the record of gore and guts in this place, don't they?” She didn't know the half of it. She didn't need to know that we suspected (Although it was not yet proven) Eldridge's brother, Nickolas Vansluys.

“Yes, yes they do.”




No comments:

Post a Comment