Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Adventures In Food

Recently my mother has introduced me to the horrors of the food we eat today, and has succeeded in turning me into a mini food activist. I've been looking at the food that they are serving my public school friends, what we are eating at Girl's camp, and what barbaric processes everything we eat goes through.
And so, I start my own tiny revolution.
A few months ago I asked my Young Women leaders if they would help me with a project; to turn around our girl's camp food.
For the past years that I have attended the stake camp with my friends and leaders, it has been difficult to eat properly, due to the vast amounts of prepackaged food, and high sugar and sodium contents.

Several girls have gotten sick at camp because of malnutrition, and I intend to change that. I had an interview with each of my leaders, and asked them why they chose processed over fresh.
The bishops wife, beehive leader, and Alaskan said that it was mainly due to effort, lack of time, limit on camp fires, and because they didn't know if the girls would actually be willing to work.

The Young Women president, a woman I have bumped heads with for years, said very similar, and was shocked at the results of a camp food survey I passed around to the girls. Once I explained my plan, she too was very supportive, which shocked me, and pleased me greatly.

Since then, several other families have moved into the ward, and new leaders have joined the old. It turns out that a few of these leaders have been asked to come to camp, and are worried that they won't be able to, due to food allergies, sensitivities, and health. Once my Mom started telling people what I was doing (Making sure I couldn't back out of it), these leaders too stood behind me.

I now have to plan a three day menu that will fit the needs of a diabetic, two vegetarians, one person that is allergic to peanut butter and bananas, one person that's allergic to eggs, and several picky eaters. I look forward to the challenge, and if all goes well, I'll also be able to publish a camp food planning/cook book, based around following the Word Of Wisdom, and falling well within a planned budget.


P.S.

Just looking at what we are thinking about for camp meals, we are going to come way under budget :)

2 comments:

  1. First off: Nice blog, grand niece! :) Secondly, if you don't mind, here are a couple of good sites to 'splore to get you going in the right direction:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/
    http://holdthetoast.com/blog
    and for the science-inclined:
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/
    http://www.garytaubes.com/

    Have fun & don't believe the nay-sayers that will tell you that you should eat low fat - it's the carbs that will make you unhealthy, as you well know!

    Love ya,
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Great auntie! I'll look into those sites! I need all the help I can get :)
    So far, there are very few nay-sayers, which makes my food-takeover all the more easy!
    *Insert evil laugh*
    Love you lots and gobbies!

    ReplyDelete