Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Zahncliff Institute: chapter 5 preview

I figured I had better give a quick update on the progress of chapter five, before my friends murder me. It's slow going, due to a hopefully short burst of Writers Block, a deadly disease. Also possibly due to my cold. Here is a short preview for chapter five. Enjoy!



And the plot thickens



Victim #1



I died on Friday.

Nothing but ribbons of flesh, blood spilled across the hot pavement.

It was your typical Friday night: Shopping around five, then dinner at a cafe. Afterward, more shopping, then off to the dance club. Loud, pounding music, bodies pressing all around you, the adrenaline and euphoria that you get when around that many people. At about one in the morning, I get claustrophobic, and head outside to get some fresh air. Some drunk near the door pukes beer and potato chips all over my brand new mini-skirt, top, and heels. I move toward my car.

Little darling one, why are you in the dark alone?” A voice says. I jump, and a spike of fear shoots up my back.

Who's there? I have the police on speed-dial!” I respond, trying to keep the shake out of my voice. It's generally a bad thing when a stranger approaches you in a dark side street. A tall bald man stepped out of the shadow. He had pierced ears, and was wearing a black leather jacket. He laughed.

Police? Not to worry, pet. It will be quick.” Suddenly he wasn't a man anymore.... He was a tiger, orange and black a bold statement in the blues and purples, large sharp claws shredding the night.

Bright neon green eyes glared at me.

Before my eyes closed for the last time, he was a man once more, and was leaning over me. He pulled a knife out of his boot, and cut a hank of my hair. After gently tucking it into his pocket, he turned once more into a tiger, and ended me.

My name is Emily Gardner.

I died.

Nothing but ribbons of flesh, blood spilled across the hot pavement.


**

No comments:

Post a Comment