Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pancake Tasty: Cranberry Pancakes

As hard as it may be to believe, I have a person in my family that really, really, really dislikes pancakes.
'Tis true!
About a month ago I was bored--- Bad things tend happen when I'm bored, but sometimes pancakes are born--- Dad and Mum were headed to physical therapy (Dad injured himself a few months back), leaving me home with the Sibs; Avie, Kitty, and Coliflower, the pancake-hater
Oh, and those are their nick-names, so don't think we're total weirdos.
Soon as the Parents were gone, I began to root around in the fridge, and found all manner of "Science Experiments"..... I think everyone living in the same house with five or more people understand this.... And found a small container of Cranberries. Then, my inner cook kicked in.
I used the same idea as the Betty Crocker Applesauce Pancake Recipe (NO MIXES ALLOWED!), and mixed in the Cranberries, added some cinnamon, and slopped 'em on the griddle.
Finally, once they were done, and after much begging, Coliflower tried them..... and kept eating. And eating. And eating! All in all He devoured three pancakes!
and so, my goal of pancake-domination has been fulfilled!

And, because it would rude to leave you wondering, here is the recipe:

1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup canned cranberries
2 tbsp vegetable oil (safflower is wonderful too!)
1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
As much cinnamon as you like!

Beat all ingredients except cranberries until smooth.
Grease heated griddle (real butter-- no cheating!).
to test griddle, sprinkle with e few drops of water. If
bubbles skitter around, heat is perfect! pour batter onto
hot griddle. Turn pancakes as soon as they are puffed
and full of bubbles. Cook other side until golden.

I wish I could give you the number of pancakes this batter makes, but I make HUGE pancakes, so it wouldn't be a good example!



No comments:

Post a Comment